Monday 14 January 2008

Hurrah, Joy and Shit

Hurrah and joyous welcome to all of you lovely and tender blog readers!
*tried being whimisical giving up now*
I have just actually completed a 2,000 essay in three hours. How I actually managed that one I don't know just glad its over now. It has however made me realise that although all my notes are carefully organised, that the quality of the notes as in legibility and a general understanding of something I wrote down four months ago, is absolutely apalling. So who knows if I dealt with the essay question correctly, my notes were everywhere all over the page. How annoying.

Other things I am trying to achieve are work experience with a judge - fun or not? Except this particular judge that I have once met and spat some words out to her in some incomprehensible fashion will probably mean that I will have to spend an hour commuting! I do not want to commute! I came to live in London so that I wouldn't have to commute. This sucks. There is a scheme available for marshalling/shadowing a judge on one o the inns of court's websites however it is only available to BVC students (like I will get that far) so at the moment I am just wondering about whether I should write to a court near me and ask if any judges would be available to be shadowed, which seems rather like shouting "IM SOO DESPERATE PLEASE" or should write to lady judge which means I have to commute.

Also I'm wondering about my CV everyone tells you it should be different, one page long, two pages long, short and simple, long and complicated. I have even been on lawcareers.net and tried to work out which one is best, however I am ever more confused with the layouts there then I was before i started, designing my own simple CV which doesnt particulary sell me much.
Apart from some mooting, I don't really have any extra curricular activities *which reminds me to join the debating society* and I don't seem to have any particular skills, which would probably mean that I won't be able to get a mini pupilledge- even though they have all probably run out already and I should have got in earlier.

Humph
Off tomorrow to get my haircut in trendy shoreditch how exciting!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi LLS
Whilst it's important to Marshall a Judge, I'd suggest you chase a couple of mini pupillages first; many chambers are inviting applications for mini's right now, and there is no deadline, nor are all of them filled to capacity. try visiting www.pupillages.com for info; bieng the official Bar website all chambers are compelled to list their wares there under the a-z listings. with respect to what you feel is a lack of experience really sell what you have got eg summer job in a shop? you have skills in communication and client care! be imaginative!
Are you a member of your unis lawsoc? tell chambers! Minis are not as hard to get as you suppose!
Hope your haircut isnt as short as mine - my hairdresser is soo shortsighted I am practically BALD...!!!!

Android said...

Work experience at solicitor firms is useful too! Especially criminal... You can get to meet barristers that way!