Wednesday 6 February 2008

Careers Advisers ...

.. should be shot.

Apart from the fact that I took all the advice the one before hand gave me on my CV and corrected it all, a new careers advisor also wanted to add her 2pence. Her 2 pence was grubby and full of "oh doesn't look like you have done a lot". Thank you careers advisor, I am so greatful to how you tore apart my CV, and thought of my previous employment as a lowly "teamworker" wasn't that great, and wanted me to add more irrelevant shit. If there are any practicing barristers out there, can you please tell me how much detail you pay attention to the CV of someone applying for mini pupillage? If it's not that much then I won't bother making the changes, which I'm sure when I next go in to see a careers advisor that it is all wrong aswell.

I liked the other one.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Careers Advisers are the plague and BANE of Student life - really, you'd be better off buying/borrowing a book on the construction of the perfect CV rather than listen to these people troll on about matters they have no knowledge of.
I speak from experience; in my third year, a visit to the careers office was compulsory; by that time I had determined that I wanted to train as a barrister and the negative response was staggering:
"No, you won't get an Inn of Court Scholarship"
" You Certainly wont get funding for a PH.d"
" I dont know of anyone who will be prepared to offer you work experience"
and the best and absolute BELTER:
" Perhaps you should go back to your old job....."
Needless to say, I'm a Queen Mother Scholar of my Inn, I am fully funded with respect to my PH.d and I have three good Mini Pupillages under my belt.
Dont let the Munters in the Career Department get you down!!!

Android said...

I suppose you just have to take them with a pinch of salt... Having said that, I was annoyed by a couple of advisers, just because, like you said, they all contradict each other.

Michael said...

I've never met a careers adviser with anything useful/vaguely helpful to say. Fully agree that they all should be rounded up ready for shooting.