Sunday 20 April 2008

Exam Stress and Band Review


Courtesy of the BBC I now know how to deal with exam stress! Eat lots of fruit, regular exercise la la la. Didn't mention that smoking a pack a day probably also causes more stress and a heavier reliance on nicotine, it is only CBBC Newsround so aimed at kids, and I generally tend to forget that you can't buy cigarettes if you aren't 18, so I assumed generally that people taking their SATS would already have picked up the habit. Newsround takes a very nice childlike view whilst child line seems to think that people will commit suicide through exam stress.. (ok maybe at Oxford)

Also (Law Actually avert your eyes now I mention.. facebook) if you are on facebook and you are at despair with the world then join the group "I've thought about dropping out of law school at least ten times today" It's really f'ing funny, and it shows that most if not all people are practically in the same boat as you. (Pics of Despair - it's always darkest just before it goes pitch black and Mistakes - it could be the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others are featured in their photo gallery)

Enough of exam boredom lets talk about music!
So here are my current fav tracks, if you are so inclined to listen to them.

Review of LLLS's top bands
Foals - good band you might of heard in Skins (yes Skins just generally pinch the best music, check out their myspace and play cassisus or balloons)
Scanners bit like a british version of the yeah yeah yeahs.. check out lowlife
Hercules and Love Affair good tunes, which nearly all feature my favourite singer of all time Antony Hegarty who is the front of Antony and The Johnsons (no good songs though on his myspace page first two albums are superb though, if you are into drinking a bottle of wine by yourself and having a pack of cigs)
The Rumble Strips - from the E4 Advert Check out Girls and Boys in Love.

Crystal Castles - for something completely different/electro/thrash check out Crimewave saw them live at Push@Astoria and they had a really good set.

and finally
The Strokes (not new but as as I am currently trying to beat their song reptilia on medium on guitar hero and my small pinky finger won't stretch to blue! Plus the solo is hard!

Here endeth the review.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

its so sad when people believe that exams are important enough to justify taking their own lives. What a hideous and unfortunate state of affairs - it happens far too frequently, as it did in the second year of my undergraduate degree, where a student hung himself not even having taken the exam that was stressing him out; he chose to do so when he handed in his assessment on the subject....
But enugh of the sad! Hope the exams are going well, and your way, LLLS; I will give your band's a critical listen though, given my status as an old bag, I can't say that I am likely ever to understand or appreciate it!( I'll try, though, I really will!)

Android said...

I agree with Minxy - exam-related suicides are shocking and just uncalled for, especially at uni. Now, BVC is a completely different story...

By the way, I've never though about dropping out of law school. All those attention seekers on the facebook!..

P.s. I'm loving the pictures - so inspiring.

Lost said...

Yep dont get the exam related suicides, but i guess its perhaps more than just their degree and something else that people have missed entirely.

Lol attention seekers.

I thought the pictures were quite inspiring too, still debating over whether I should have them made up as wallpaper!

Don't worry minxy i'm sure as an old hag you will like at least one of them :)

Mel said...

It is incredibly sad when people take their lives due to exam/assessment stress. In many ways, yes exams are awful but if you can't handle them then life afterwards will get tricky. What of house moving stress, mortgage and marriage stress etc?

Although I have never, thankfully, ever come even remotely close to harming myself because of an exam stress (apart from harbouring the occasional mad thought about what level of injury I would need to get out of an exam but not cause permanent damage- that's not just me, is it?!) I can sort of understand the mindset that you could fall into.

If you're someone who tends to look at things as a whole, and think about all the possible problems and permutations of problems and causation arising from something going wrong, then I can see how in the middle of the night, at the darkest hour when you're not thinking straight that it can seem too much to bear. Sometimes sleep isn't enough of an escape for that sort of pain and torment; you feel like you just can't handle anymore.

Very very sad. I'm very lucky to have friends about who can spot when I need a kick up the arse, and that I simply haven't got the attention span for that level of obsessive thinking.

Will give your music a listen! I am not quite an old hag, but am most uncool I'm afraid.

Lost said...

Hi Mel,
I have often thought of various ways to get out of exams, such as throwing myself infront of a bus, however that would cause some permenant damage.

I've heard stories of people who have be beaten up before an exam still had to take it, mugged etc been in car accidents. I think unless you are very unwell such as in a hospital there aren't that many excuses.

Gunna check out your blog now.